Just like any new sport, when you start CrossFit, there are some items every athlete should purchase. These will ensure that you have the best athlete experience and will also just make some of the workouts less painful or stressful.
- A good rope. Jump ropes are fit to the specific person. Although we have some ropes here, it’s best for you to have your own. Learning how to jump rope again and do double unders is definitely easier with a good rope. RX Smart Gear makes a great high end rope, but you can purchase one at Academy or Dick’s Sporting Goods that will last you through your first few months.
- A notebook or app to record your workouts. Recording workouts is essential to measure your progress. Some days you might feel awful and like your performance was poor. However, if you take the time to look back you might see that you’ve actually improved your time while adding more weight!
- A pumice stone or callus remover. When you start hanging around on a pull up bar, your hands HURT. Once you build up calluses, you increase your risk of tearing because the bar now has something to hold on to. To prevent this you MUST take care of your hands. In the shower each day use a pumice stone to smooth out any rough calluses and use a callus remover to ensure the skin on your hands is even.
- Wrist wraps. Wrist wraps add an extra layer of support for movements like ring rows, pull ups, overhead squats, and front squats. Although not completely necessary, they are a good accessory to have for heavy lifting days or days with a lot of work on the pull up rig.
- Shoes. Typical running shoes don’t exactly work for CrossFit. Although Reebok and Nike have taken over with Nanos and Metcons respectively, you can get by with a good flat New Balance or even go old school CrossFit with a pair of Converse.